Monday, November 3, 2008

Day 9: The Hitch Hiker's Guide to Joo

Have you ever wondered what would be said about you if someone chose to write your biography? Or if you suddenly had an inclination to share your own story, what would you say? Would you concentrate on the more dramatic aspects of your life or just about the mundane things that were important to you, though were not particularly significant? I suppose some would find a balance, some would just go on about the mundane things in their lives like eating turnips, whist others would make their own story more salient if that is the right word.

But how much drama can one person encounter in their lives? Well I for one have too much on my own plate with my accidents and the whole family drama worthy of a soap opera, but they're not particularly nice read about. And so what is it that draws us into reading these biographies? Is it inspiration that we're seeking? Motivation perhaps? That maybe if we read about their experience and apply it to our own lives, we might be able to achieve the same goals? But why would you want that? Shouldn't you strive to set and reach your own goals? Then again, no one is unique any more. It's even a long shot to say that a thought is unique anymore...though it might be unheard of. So what does it matter anyway?

Well I don't really care honestly because biographies and autobiographies are too real for my taste. I do enjoy reading historical biographies because I am interested in their cultures and customs but I cannot be bothered to read about that random actor who has an Award under his armpit talking about eating turnips and discussing the meaning of life like he is the next Dalai Lama.

I choose, instead, to stick to fantasies and fiction: fake stories about people with extremely random, coincidental and over the top lifestyles because they're interesting... even though most of the ideas in those writings are not unique, they are still different from what I'm used to in real life and that in itself is intriguing enough, and then added to that, I start thinking "what if..." and that just gets the imagination rolling to the ends of the universe.

What if I got a letter from Hogwarts about a graduate programme they've just started?

What if I was bitten by a vampire and my best friend had a spirit of a wolf?

What if I was stuck in the middle of the universe with a lunatic as in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy that I am reading right now. I hadn't realised how funny the book really was last time I read it! Then again, I was 13, sitting in the South Island library (that stank), completely oblivious to what the jokes were going on about. Needless to say, I only read half the book because I was so bored with it, but now I can't keep my eyes off the pages! The adventure is intriguing and it's gotten my imagination rolling and even though it's not quite the same as travelling through outer space, I've also been looking through the The Leisurely Hiker's Guide to Hong Kong and planning out my own earthly adventure this coming weekend. :oD

Also, Bookmooch has finally lifted the temporary suspension on my account for being overly active with mooches. I've already jumped on and successfully mooched Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (which I read when I was in high school and loved) and Chinese Cinderella, and am waiting for confirmation on The Soddit: Or, Let's Cash in Again. It's funny that as much as I don't understand the need for biographies, two of these three books are just that, but then again, their lives were not normal. Any sense of normality was taken away from them. Or maybe I'm just a hypocrite :)

Question of the Day: What would be a good book to mooch?

4 comments:

  1. I love hitchhikers guide! My favourite scene in the whole series is when Marvin lands on the planet of the mattresses. Super-empathetic (but brainless) meet terminially depressed.

    Books to mooch to? I read myths and legends or fairy tales when I feel like that. Or something that really grips me. Wilkie Collin's Moonstone or the Woman in White are good ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Woman in White! Will check out Moonstone. I **think** I remember you talking about it a fair while back...it rings a bell :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wanna read both books now lol.. lend me when u'r done justinmeister.

    oh and i should offer u some of my books to offer as mooch material if thee pleases.. otherwise i'd take em to stanley or something.

    cousin, in effort to.. be nice is taking me to a bookshop in seoul! huge place with one small corner devoted to foreign books. i think i'll get some twilight books lol, seeing as i'm sick of reading em on my laptop.

    as they are so popular i'm sure they will be there in the bookstore...

    oh and i loved the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy tho i kinda got sick of it by the last book in the series lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to get yourself a Bookmooch account so we can keep an eye on what we have to trade! And we get free points that we can use to get free books! lol

    I know I definitely want to borrow that book from you about questioning the identity/existence of god? I can't remember the name :)

    ReplyDelete