Sunday, November 30, 2008

Day 36: Wisdom and Lactic Acid

DSC_0283

I went to take a walk out to cover central Lantau Island today... in particular, the walk started from Shek Mun Kap village and ended at Ngong Ping, home of the Po Lin Monastery and the Tian Tan - or Big - Buddha (route map here). The walk was listed in my book as being moderately strenuous and sure there were some very steep climbs along the way, but the weather was so perfect today that in general it was a very pleasant hike! Heck, it was even really chilly by the time it was all over!

Along the way, there was a lot to see as always including views of Chek Lap Kok airport, some secluded monasteries, rock pools and streams, HK's longest standing bamboo grove (yikes, snakes!) and of course spectacular views of the Big Buddha and the Wisdom Path (pictured) at sunset!

My only disappointment was that most of the path was paved as I honestly prefer walking on unpaved paths, even if they're beaten down trails. I've come to realise though that most of the public trails in Hong Kong - and China from what I hear - are paved! Why? I don't know. But anyway, it was a great walk and the pictures have been added to the backlog, which is getting smaller as we speak thankfully! But just for the heck of it, I've posted a list of the upcoming photo sets in order on the side-bar of the blog! Check it out!

Today's Flickr Uploads: Mist on Dragon's Back
DSC_0014 DSC_0003 DSC_0007 DSC_0080
Unfortunately I went to Dragon's Back on a day when the mist decided it would be a good idea to sit on top of Shek-O, so these are the only pictures that I thought were good enough to post. Hopefully I'll go back to this trail in a few weeks to get better shots, but obviously with the backlog I have at the moment, I don't think taking new photos is a priority!

1 comment:

  1. You're right. I would have loved that walk!
    Unpaved paths are actually easier on all your joints. Concrete is quite harsh.

    Glad you're enjoying your walking. Wish I could join you =)

    ReplyDelete