Saturday, November 29, 2008

Day 35: School Days

Today was my first day at the new job. I was extremely scared at the start of the day wondering if I would be good enough or if I would find the students annoying, etc but my god, as soon as I got there, I switched into this strange teacher-mode that I did not know existed in me and started working...calmly! It was amazing!

I was really happy with how my classes turned out in the end as well. Two of them are extremely active (though in a good way) and one of them is very quiet, but only because they're shy...not because they've been conditioned to sit and listen all the time... I was also really impressed by their command of the English language coming from a Chinese Medium of Instruction (CMI) school...The discussions we had in class were hilarious... One of the things I was trying to do with them was to ask them to imagine their ideal school environment including the types of teachers, facilities, transport to-and-from, subjects, etc and they came up with things like wanting boxing arenas and a section of HK Disneyland in their schools as well as wanting to go to school on spaceships and including Supernatural Studies as part of their core curriculum. It was all too cute!

All in all, good day! The photo to the right is the school building... I think I had the colour temperature setting adjusted to tungsten, hence the bluish tinge under sunlight, which I thought was interesting. Below are also a couple of photos of the smallest of my three classes (hyper!):



Today's Flickr Uploads: Hamlet at Peng Chau
DSC_0248 DSC_0242

2 comments:

  1. Yay feesh! I'm glad it goes well =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice! it's so glad to hear you get on well with your active smart kids.. yes I'd a nice time when I taught a group of kid of similar age.. teaching can be fulfilling!

    ReplyDelete