Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Day 11: Historical Understanding

The above is an exhibit on neolithic life in Hong Kong; the men are supposed to be building a stilt house, though to me it looks like Jesus about to carry the cross to his crucifixion.

I love museums. Strolling through one is like having an unpaid enjoyable job. One feels much accomplished after making a trip through it! Plus they're fun. Random knowledge is always fun...for me anyway! And so, I have decided that I'm going to go through all museums in Hong Kong before I (hopefully) make my way out of the city. And believe me, they seem to make a museum out of literally anything here... there's a museum about life aboard a particular fireboat, another one about a road (Lantau Link) which is part of a tourist trap visitor centre. There's museums about tea ware (slightly understandable), international cuisine (Foods of Mankind Museum), an exhibition out about the Hong Kong public housing estates that honestly have no unique aesthetic qualities of their own, and so on. In fact, there are a total of 45 museums (including resource centres). That should keep me busy for a while.

2 comments:

  1. I love HK museums they're really a forgotten part of it. I liked your photos from the museum of medical science.

    We had so much fun going to museums in HK =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here! I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed the Museum of Correctional Services, especially! Haha... Oh that was a good day! :)

    But those medical implements in at the museum of medical science were scary! The abortion tools gave me nightmares lol

    In fact, this is what HK Magazine's article had to say about it: "When you have a sniffle, visit the Hong Kong Museum of Medical Sciences and thank God for modern medicine." ...so true. so very true lol

    ReplyDelete