Friday, December 19, 2008

Post 49: Indifference

DSC_0147

Christmas is my favourite time of the year. The tacky decorations, over-the-top traditions, heart-attack-inducing food, presents that I don't necessarily want, writing cards to people I haven't spoken to in years, et cetera are just some of the things I love about the holiday. The nicest thing about the winter fest though is that people...somehow...through some bizarre force of nature, become...well... nice. Just for a day, but it's something.

Needless to say that with all the excitement of the things mentioned above, I always start becoming really bouncy around the start of December. And by the time the actual date comes around, I'm usually told (lovingly) that I need to be sent to a mental asylum. At least they can't say that I don't have the holiday spirit!

Well, they CAN say that this year, because I have none this time around. Christmas is next week and I haven't decorated my house, the weather is disgusting, I haven't written a single card or mailed any presents. I have not even thought about Christmas dinner, which is usually something I start thinking about on the 27th of December the previous year! So what's the deal?

For one, shit happened. Family arguments, lack of job when I needed it, etc resulted in all my plans for Christmas being changed, cancelled, changed again and so on. In fact, plans have been made and cancelled so many times now that I am just so indifferent towards it all and cannot wait till the holidays are over. On second thought, that would mean going back to work, so maybe I'll keep the holidays and just lock myself in my room. That sounds like a lot more fun...But I digress. In all fairness though, I really do appreciate my mum's effort to make me feel better after all the drama that's been going on. She's taking me down to the foothills of the Himalayas to see where she grew up! I've never been to that area and it's been so long since I've seen proper full on snowfall that it should be a lot of fun. I'm just hoping that the plans are sorted soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment