Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Day 4: The End

Today was even more uneventful than the day before yesterday. I was going to head to the History museum, but things such as this amazing idea about taking a (much needed) nap got in the way. Of course, it's messed up my sleeping schedule now, so since I couldn't sleep, I decided to finish reading Breaking Dawn and here's a short review I wrote about it on Bookmooch:
Once you're done reading this book, the world will seem to be a happy, sappy and mushy place. It is by no means a work of art (like the other books in the series), but it is still a very entertaining read. I'll definitely recommend the series to others, but be warned that the moment you try to look deeper than the surface of what is written, you will be lost because the books are shallow and lack substance. The characters are hollow, the relationships are often weak, the plot leads to random places at times and the blatant fundamental (but hypocritical) Christian concepts can get a little annoying. So save yourself the trouble and just read them as pure entertainment. Stephanie Meyer's a weak writer in most rights, but she knows how to hold the attention of her readers to deliver a general glance at the story, which works great for escapists as the lack of brain power needed to get through the series is reason enough to pick them up!
Needless to say that despite the lack of substance in the story, the very predictable happy ending has left me in a state of utter mush unlike many critics who've written about the story being dull and unrealistic etc.

As I was reading it, I thought I was agreeing with them, but towards the end of the book, I don't understand why they say that? Rather I don't see why it is important for the book to be realistic in order to be a good read. Have they forgotten that some of the most loved stories out there are fairy tales? And honestly, how realistic can one expect books to be when they are about vampires and werewolves?

I suppose one argument towards that could be that the characters and the story are not relate-able to everyday life unlike, say... Rowling's work. But does that really matter? Could you relate to Belle? To Cinderella? Yet you loved their stories.

So what makes Twilight different? Doesn't Stephanie Meyer constantly make references to the fact that this is Bella's fairytale?

Anyway, I don't get it and I don't know if I care really. But then, like Bella, I see the world through rose tinted glasses, so maybe I do relate to the story...

Question of the Day: Why is reality such a grey picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment