Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Day 3: A True Nightmare Before Christmas and All Other Holidays

The building where I live has been under construction for nearly 3 months now, every day of which has been miserable because of the intensive drilling and half naked - and usually incredibly unattractive - men staring through my window into my room.


The renovation has not only made my building look like a demolition site, but has also turned the corridor where I live into something that could very easily be out of a film about the holocaust; I feel like I am now living in a badly maintained concentration camp and/or an equally badly maintained asylum of some sort. Heck we even have barbed wire on one of the walls on the side of the building! Pretty.

The point of all of this? I'm just trying to understand why people in Hong Kong feel the need to constantly drill and renovate their apartments every few months. I often question if it is just my bad luck that every time I move to a new place, the people who live directly above me feel the need to renovate their place (in as loud a way as they can think of). The current upstairs-landlords have already renovated their apartment 5 times in the last 2 years that I have been here and my immediate neighbour has fixed up their flat twice. And there are sections along the main road where my apartment building stands that are closed throughout the year for maintenance work and random digging and re-filling. What the hell?

Question of the day: Can the Hong Kong government seriously not think of a better way to spend their money than encouraging urban renewal of the same areas every 5 minutes?

3 comments:

  1. answer to u'r question.. nope.. didn't you know it's some sort of constitutional hong kong thing that somewhere, usually near you there is construction and drilling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. whether shine, or hail or snow, we shall drill! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. "intensive drilling and half naked - and usually incredibly unattractive - men staring through my window"

    Okay, that made me laugh out loud. ;)

    ReplyDelete